[nagdu] guide dogs and gps

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Sun Aug 7 15:09:14 UTC 2011

Rebecca,

When using any GPS device you have to understand that you are walking in a
30 foot circle of coverage. Sometimes it's better than that but when
navigating to specific locations, you will be able to get close then your
own O&M skills will get you the rest of the way there. This happens because
the GPS data used by civilians is realistically only accurate up to about 10
feet or so. That's true for all GPS devices, commercial and specialized.

I also wanted to elaborate on Cheryl's note about GDF and GPS. Say that 5
times fast. <grin>

Currently our GPS training is on hold. We were going to start it again in
April of this year but then the Kapten Plus was introduced and we needed
time to test it. As I'm the one doing the testing, I can say that I'm almost
finished and we will be deciding where to go next soon. We have taught GPS
use in one form or another since 2006 using the Trekker original device, the
Trekker Breeze and now investigating the Kapten Plus.

One thing I can say is that when you first use any GPS device, be very
careful to know how to use it before just venturing out with your dog. It
can be very easy to get caught up in the buttons and commands of the device
while your dog is sniffing, distracted or even doing a diagonal street
crossing. We recommend going on routes or in areas that you know well first
so you can compare the info given by the GPS to what you know about the
area.

Hope that helps.

Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com