[nagdu] Some Perspective on the Policy

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 21 21:46:20 UTC 2011

Hi, Lynn,
We had a similar incident this year at winter ski camp.
A guide dog was causing a huge amount of problems, because the dog would
bark and become a major disturbance.
The director told the guide dog handler that her dog was no longer welcomed
back for next year and that if she couldn't go withoutt her dog, then she
wouldn't be able to attend ski camp next year either.
I found that to be a fair thing as the dog was completely out of control.
User's excuse was that she didn't like to give her dog hard corrections.
Even when I've had to help deal with Odie at times when he was under Dale
care, she claimed I was being too hard and rough on him that I was screaming
at him.
Truth is that I was actually gritting my teeth together to prevent my voice
from drawing unwanted attention.
The teeth gritting method I learned came from a trainer at Pilot Dogs named
Mike Tessmer.
I like the teeth gritting idea and it does really work so I wouldn't be
facing that unwanted attention from the public back when Odie was my guide.
>From that day on, I still use the teeth gritting method.
Of course, Odie always gets praised when he corrected the problem or
straightened up right away.
The barking guide dog wasn't the only one who caused a problem.
There was another guide dog handler who let her dog run loose down the
hallways of the lodge until it took another camp staff member to tell her to
please get her dog on leash immediately as it was getting in the way of
others.
Both the camp director and his wife told me over and over that Odie was one
of the best well-behaved, well kept and well trained guide dog during his
time of service.
I may have to speak with both the director and his wife about coming up with
a similar policy in regards of making sure the guide/assistance dogs are
kept under control and remaining on leash at all times.
Same would go for cleanning up after the dog.
Still catching up on messages.
Bibi