[nagdu] update: food issues

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Aug 25 15:42:24 UTC 2011

Robert,

Sorry for the troubles you're having.   I have an older retired dog who
is being fussy about her food lately.  I know how frustrating it is with
her.

  Please know that it isn't the end of the world if she doesn't eat her
full portion of food.  Keep offering it and she'll eat when she needs
to.  If you notice other symptoms or she seems to be losing weight
rapidly, get her to the vet.  Otherwise things should work themselves
out in time.

It won't hurt to offer her kibble throughout the day, either as treats
or even at three mealtimes.  The worst that will happen is that her
relieving schedule might be off.  If that's something you can deal with
I'd keep offering the food.

Of course once things settle down and you get to know each other better,
you'll need to establish a schedule that works for you.  In the meantime
don't be afraid to test out different feeding schedules.  Maybe vary the
times each day your feeding, try three mealtimes, split the daily
portion different ways among the meals, try feeding once a day, try
putting a bit of water on the food...just experiment until you find
something that works for you and her.

Best of luck and welcome to the list!
Julie