[nagdu] I got yelled at

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 14:03:13 UTC 2011

Yeah, you do have to get used to using it properly, since a hard or
sharp correction could hurt the dog. I waited until I was more sure of
my arm and hand movements to get one, but I hadn't been using leash
corrections anyway because they were not the most effective means of
dealing with sniffing and stuff like that. So with Her Poodleness,
simply using it to set limits on her nose worked and works pretty well.
She's the one causing the pressure while I do nothing, so it's up to her
to live with it or relieve it... She will still pull against it on leash
walks when she wants to do her own thing, but then will decide it's not
worth the bother and get back into line acting like she didn't notice a
thing and really wanted to keep walking and keep her nose out of where
it doesn't belong. Or she will make a big deal about the medieval
torture device that has been inflicted upon her. /lol/  For work, it's
more a communication tool than anything these days, but if she's not
wearing it, she has a tendency to want to test the limits. Still! For
corrections, I've taken into using harness bumps to remind her to get
back to work, which is easier for me because I don't have to fiddle with
getting hold of anything I don't already have in my hand. /smile/

Well, to each their own. Whatever tool works best with both the dog and
the handler is, de facto, the best solution. I think people get upset at
the sight of a prong or chain collar, and while either can be cruel if
used incorrectly, they are not if properly used. With the Halti or GL,
of course, people think the dog is muzzled because its so dangerous. Oh,
yeah. Mitzi, the killer guide poodle! Most often the people who ask why
she's wearing a muzzle, does she bite? are asking while their hands
reach out to touch her curly head when they shouldn't...Or watching
their kid molest this dangerous beast. I would toss off a snappy answer
at that point, but I'm always too busy scraping the shattered remains of
my jaw off the ground. /lol/ Mitzi loves kids now, but she still doesn't
want the beastly ones just running up to her and sticking their hands
into her curls and their faces in her while they jabber loudly and make
wild movements... Being the dangerous killer that she is, she just leans
against my leg and puts up with it until I can get the fingers out of
her curls, then she slips behind me so I can block the ongoing
attempts... While the idiot parent keeps going on about the muzzle and
why do I have it on the dog, is she aggressive or...I haven't had one of
those in quite a while, now that I think of it, and most parents are
very cool, heard by me when they gently explain to their child that the
dog is working, yes, it's a poodle, no they can't pet it because it's
working. I smile in their direction and go on my merry way.

Tami