[nagdu] dog winterization

Doug Parisian eggmann at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 4 17:30:53 UTC 2011

Well, here's my 2.5 cents worth.

I live in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada which claims on average to be one of the
coldest cities in the world overall during our winter.

Any booties I have tried on my five dogs have either had a tendency to fall
off, or collect water when getting on and off various buses, or entering and
exiting buildings.  Of course, that means they can freeze in our kind of
cold.  We can get weeks where the temperature never reaches above minus 10
Fahrenheit, and that doesn't count wind-chill.  The one positive is the fact
that we don't experience a lot of freezing/thawing cycles.  By the way, our
prairie summers can be absolutely scorching.

I've had my dogs working quite happily in minus 40 degrees; the real brutal
part is waiting for traffic lights, especially on bare cement which tends to
be a lot colder than a snow surface.  The same is true when waiting for a
bus, unless one is able to use our several bus shelters, some of which are
heated by radiators under the bench.  I have placed my dogs on these
benches.  Unfortunately, being inside one of those shelters can result in
missing a bus.  Depending on other shelterers to tell me when the bus is
coming (my bus that is) is a little like Russian Roulette.  My eventual
planned cell phone should help in that regard since I can then use the
various transit tools for bus schedules and the like.

Anyway, I've never had a dog with injured or sore paws in 35 years; I make a
point of a foot check including a wipe after each winter trip, especially in
the fall and spring.  Maintaining a brisk pace in cold weather helps a lot
as well; and if I feel cold, rest assured my dog will also feel cold.  Think
of it; these animals don't put on extra clothing before leaving a
temperature of 72 degrees into minus 20.  That in itself is amazing to me.

If you have a yard or safe play place, allowing the dog to spend supervised
free time is a strategy I've found to be helpful by way of acclimatization;
damn, this even works for me.

Doug: never lick a cold lamp post!