[nagdu] owner training

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 10 03:16:52 UTC 2011

Cindy,

Well, you're wise. The time investment in owner-training is something
else, and if you don't love doing it, the best idea is not to start.
Still, it is very rewarding, too, despite the difficulties and hazards
along the way.

Actually, for a guide dog, you do want to start with a dog that will be
great to live with. /smile/ Some people have gotten great older pups or
young dogs that already have that; others start with puppies of various
ages. I started with Mitzi when was a 7-month-old blank slate who had
been pack-raised on a small acreage. It would have behooved me, for the
record, to have asked *how* blank the slate was, since I lived in an
apartment in the city... I don't want to talk about that! Nightmare! But
I could see that she was such a great dog and had the right stuff, so I
guess I wouldn't trade her. Still!

Okay, I'm tired and senseless, so won't elaborate further until I have a
brain again... Don't hold your breath! /lol/