[nagdu] Going out during training

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Tue Feb 1 23:39:26 UTC 2011

Hello Tracy and everyone,

    During training at our centers students are expected too use their canes
at all times be they traveling on their own, or undergoing instruction by
one of the center's cane travel instructors. It should be the same way for
students undergoing guide dog training.They should be expected to work their
dogs during instructional time and during travel they might undertake on
their own. When and how they use their dogs when training is complete is
their business.

    As for when this should happen I believe Structured-Discovery gives us
an answer. Instead of school staff categorically telling students they
cannot travel off the grounds accompanied by their dogs they can guide them
in determining when they would be ready to undertake such a  journey. This
is far healthier as it would involve the student in the decision making
process something they'll need to do when training is complete. This is a
far more healthier approach to the issue and involves the trainer and
student as equal partners in the determining process rather than the
paternalistic approach of "No unaccompanied travel allowed until you get
home." Now it's time for a delicious bowl of beef stew and tonight's edition
of "Performance Today."

Peter Donahue