[nagdu] Crisis Averted!

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Sun Feb 6 18:37:35 UTC 2011

First of all, I'm very glad that stressful situation has been resolved.
Why don't guide dog schools train more hypoallergenic breeds?
This is just my opinion that follows and not meant to be  nastiness towards
you who are asking.
Because they have more important things to do than  worry about every Tom
Dick or Harry in the public who claims allergies.
For whatever reasons, the usual breeds for guide dogs are that way for a
reason, tractability, ease of handling, intelligence, and many more traits.
No, I'm not saying other breeds don't have that as of course they do.
I'm just saying that the requirement for a guide dog and the working
qualities are much more important to a school than allergies.

This allergy business seems to have come in to it's own the last 10 or 15
years or so.  Guide dogs have been trained for over ninety years and the
shepherds, labs, goldens, and others have been the mainstay.

This should generate some interesting discussion, I imagine.

Dan W. and the Carter Nut