[nagdu] re the truth is out

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 10 18:02:24 UTC 2011

Gary,

Yeah, I'm all afire with curiosity myself.  Not because I need to fact the
information into my own decision making process, since I am hooked on
poodles!  Dobie's are my second choice, too, but I don't need to worry about
that since Mitzi is going to live forever because I told her to and she
always does exactly what I tell her to do.  /grin/

As a cience geek and sci-fi nut, I also have a plan to achieve the
live-forever goal by having her cloned in a few years, since the technology
is maturing enough to make that doable, and the price may have come down
quite a ways.  Also, that way, I can have her raise and train herself, with
a little help from me, of course.  Vengeance at last!  /lol/

What's really funny is getting to see how some of our pet dog buddies
actually pick up some of the finer points of guide work from her just from
taking walks with us.  Daisy knows the basic command set and where to stand
and what to do from watching us walk across parking lots from the car.  She
is dying to be a guide dog!  She also picks up other behaviors from Mitzi,
who is apparently pretty skilled at teaching the old dog new tricks.  We
practice "under" with her at the dinner table, while Daisy lays beside her
dad's seat, and this has been our established pattern for a couple of years
now.  That way, when we have company, our dogs just do what they do when
it's dinner time because it's just ritual.

Only for some reason Daisy has decided to start practicing under like Mitzi
does, which disgruntles Mitzi a bit because when it's just us at the small
table, there's nto really room for two dogs.  /lol/

Daisy turns 11 in a month or thereabouts, and she's still picking up stuff
like a puppy.  When she was much abused but never actually trained, so we
still have some things to work out, espeically in the barking department.  I
recently discovered that I have inadvertently trained her to come bouncing
up to me happily when I show her the muzzle when she's barking in the back
yard.  Since she's not barking and is coming when I call, I don't put the
muzzle on.  We just come inside and I give her a treat to reward her for
being quiet and coming in, so Bob's your uncle.

I have also accidentally trained the dogs to engage in rowdy loud play when
I put Mitzi's jingle on.  Oops!  Now I have to figure out how to convince
them that just because I turn Mitzi into jingle poodle, I am not then
required to play and it does not mean some free sing/bark for Daisy.  Who
knew?  /lol/

Tami Smith-Kinney