[nagdu] Access problems in San Diego

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Wed Jan 12 20:53:26 UTC 2011

Hi, Lyn,

Speaking from my personal experience, if the local police will not put in an
appearance to let the business owner know that they are required under the
ADA to allow a person with a disability access to their business accompanied
by their service animal, then you have several options for getting the
problem solved:

You can file a complaint with the US Department of Justice which is charged
with implementing this part of the ADA.  Or, you can file a complaint with
your state's Human Rights Division which will eventually hold a hearing to
establish the facts of the case and then issue a ruling as to whether
discrimination did occur, and then help mediate some remedy.  Both of these
methods take a lot of time to get results.  And either organization may
decide that your little complaint will not deliver enough bang for the buck,
so to speak, and that they cannot spend their very limited resources on such
a little case.

So you may decide to take more direct and personal action:  that is, take a
couple of guide dog user friends with you for moral support and go to the
business and enter the business and proceed as usual, with the expectation
of receiving the same polite and considerate service as any other members of
the public.  If the business owner shouts "No dogs!", attempt to politely
inform him/her of your rights under the ADA (if he/she is able to listen and
able to understand.)  If the business owner is not physically pushing you
out the door or blocking your passage into the store, then I would continue
to enter and see if the business owner will serve you despite their
protestations about the dog(s).  This tactic has worked for me in some
cases--I just pretend I didn't understand what they are saying about the
dog, like I can't understand their attempt at speaking English, or maybe my
disability includes deafness, or maybe I have a cognitive impairment or
something--but I just keep walking and keep smiling, and sometimes they just
decide that it is easier to serve me and get it over with rather than
continuing to cause a scene by resisting.

If you get in and they ignore you or refuse to serve you, then you can call
the police and see if the mere appearance of the police, or the threat of
their appearance, will be enough to cause the business owner to give in.  If
the business is one which has any traffic at all, then the sight of several
citizens with disabilities and their service animals standing in the
entrance and the business owner trying to refuse them service will surely be
bad for business and cause the business owner to think twice about
persisting.  If the police do arrive and refuse to enforce the law, and I'm
sure that California has State laws which parallel the provisions of the
ADA, then you can choose to leave peacefully, or you can choose to stay.  If
you choose not to leave the business, perhaps the police will arrest you and
your friends for disturbing the peace or something, which will give you a
date in court and a platform for gaining the attention of the local press
and the justice system.

If you're up for a good fight, you could inform the local TV/media press of
the denial of access, and you could arrange to have press coverage of
another attempt by you and your friends to gain entry and service at the
business.  Usually, once the situation is exposed to the light of public
scrutiny, the business owner "sees the light" pretty quickly.  They usually
try to pass it off as a misunderstanding and swear that they never meant to
deny service to a person with a disability, but in any case, the situation
does get resolved, and sometimes they bend over backward to try to make up
for their mistaken policy.

Oh, one other thing, if the business is one which prepares/serves food, and
they are using this as the excuse for refusing you entry with the dog,
saying that the Health Department won't allow dogs, you can call the County
Health Inspector's office and ask them to inform the business owner that no
health regulation requires the exclusion of persons with disabilities
accompanied by service animals from stores or restaurants where food is
displayed/prepared/served.  In fact, the exception for service animals is
written into the health codes.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you can muster the good old activist spirit of
the 1960's civil rights era (and of the NFB), and get your civil rights
recognized and enforced!

Best,
Ann