[nagdu] Re Guide Dog and taxis

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 30 03:23:06 UTC 2011

Marion,

I have had that result, too. Sigh. It's super frustrating because even
if you know darn well what's going on there that you had to wait so
long, there's no way you can really even start an argument over it
because you have no clear indication and they can just claim they
weren't doing any such thing. Grr!

With the cab company I used wen I was closer to downtown, I didn't
notice much difference when I went from being just me and my white cane
to  me and my poodle. /smile/ For that company, Radio Cab, the cabby's
own their own cars for the most part, and they also own the company
collectively. So I could count on good service and great cabby's, which
was nice. They would always get someone out to me quickly when I was
using them regularly. I got spoiled. So it was no skin off my nose with
that company to let them know I would be bringing the dog along as a
courtesy to them for their courteous service and all that quid pro quo
stuff. I like having a good relationship with the companies that provide
the local services I use frequently, and it generally works out well for
me.

Out here, though, I skip the mention of the guide dog, since I have to
wait a lot longer no matter which cab company I call. There's not really
a local company, or there wasn't last time I used a cab a couple of
years back, so that's frustrating. when I have to get to an appointment.
Even calling way ahead without mentioning anything that might resemble a
dog does not guarantee a cab will show up in time because I guess no one
wants to drive all the way out here for only one fare. Rains on my
parade, that does. So I'm not going to take chances. So I guess it
depends a lot on where you live and how the cab companies are there. The
other major Portland cab company I never did like as well, and the
drivers do appear to be more likely to be persnickety about the dog.
I've never been refused service, but riding from one end of the Portland
metro area all the way out the other during rush hour with a driver who
is cheesed off about your dog in their precious cab is not my idea of a
fun ride. Also, that guy, who had an accent that indicated he might be
having religious concerns about the dog in the back seat floor,
sometimes appeared to be pretty busy paying attention to what the dog
might be up to than what traffic might be up to. . /lol/ The dog was
lying on the floor as she should, but I was starting to get twitchy
about the whole thing, so then I would start to fidget too much, and she
would move and her bells and tags would jingle, so he would throw a his
head around and stare so hard I could feel it, so then I would get more
uptight, so more jingling, so... /lol/ That ride got really, really
long, I assure you.

Anyway, if I were traveling , say, and called a cab from a hotel in a
strange city, I wouldn't mention that I had a service dog, since I do
wouldn't know the company or the drivers. Now that I think about it, I
would be tempted to use the company the hotel uses and have them call
for me without stopping to think they might bring that up. Except that
just now I thought of it. Probably my comfort level with using their
service would depend a lot on the vibes I picked up from them...Anyway,
I'm personally not stuck on doing it one way or the other but prefer to
make that judgment call situationally. I suppose that even staying in a
hotel for travel and calling a cab to, say, go out for a nice dinner
where I had reservations, I would weigh my overall time schedule with
the possibility of having an extra wait because I mentioned the dog
versus the possibility of missing my reservation because I was having an
unscheduled fight with a cabby over discrimination. Sigh.

I do think that if someone were to ask me what they should do about
notification for cabs and other such services, I would give them your
advice and simply explain the pros and cons as I know them so that the
person could make his/her own choice in the matter. The law does say
that we are not required to let the cab company or driver know ahead of
time about our guide dogs. That information is irrelevant to whether
they come to pick us up, as it is irrelevant as to whether they allow us
into their cab so that we can pay them to drive us somewhere. Too bad
this doesn't always happen. /smile/

Tami