[nagdu] Re Guide Dog Forced to Ride in Trunk

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Wed Jun 8 07:13:05 UTC 2011

Beth,
Interesting and well written post.
I think I understandwhere your coming from, but with all due respect,
you might be missing the point slightly. I am all for advocating for
victims of sexual assault; Those people are victims, always. I
understand that. Comparing this situation to being raped though, is
like comparing apples to grapes here. I'm willing to be compassionate
to the victim, and not to judge him or her, but I don't see the guide
dog handler as being the victim as much as her dog was. Just because he
isn't human doesn't deny him rights or concern. This would be a
national outrage if little Alberto was a child, not a black lab. But
let's remember that this dog may have become traumatized to the point
where he may not be a full-functioning guide anymore. Also,his handler
had a choice; If we want to refer back to the case of a rape victim, if
I recall correctly, they never have a choice. There are several options
I could think of off the top of my head, simple options I might
add,that she could have gone through first. Yes, she may have been
distraught, stressed out, strapped on time--but why endanger a service
animal? They're being forced to partake in sexual activity. This woman
was given an ultimatum, yes, but the driver didn't shove her dog in the
trunk of his car. She "reluctantly agreed", to quote the article.
Therefore, these are two very different kinds of circumstances.
Respectfully submitted,

Bernadetta