[nagdu] a cane and dog discussion

Shannon Dyer solsticesinger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 11:02:32 UTC 2011

Hi, Julie.

As a child and young adult, I never liked my cane. I learned how to use it, and did so safely all through elementary and most of high school. However, when I was old enough to apply for a guide dog, I did. Due to some other factors that I won't go into here, a dog allows me to travel much more safely and confidently than I ever did with a cane. So, for me, a dog made me more independent than I ever was with a cane.

In terms of losing cane skills, I suppose it's possible. I don't often travel without my guide, but, if I have to for some reason, I haven't noticed any decline in my cane skills. I suppose this would depend on the person though.

Shannon and Caroline
Are you a fan of women's music? If so, join me each Thursday from noon until three for the Eclectic Collection: a Celebration of Women In Music. Point your media player to:
http://mojoradio.us/listen
or
www.mintfm.net