[nagdu] a cane and dog discussion

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Jun 20 12:26:26 UTC 2011

My thoughts on this topic have changed over time and I still think I
have a long way to go to get to the core of it.  Anyhow here's my
current thinking.

I think guide dog users and cane users have the potential to be amazing
travelers.  I think how good of a traveler you are is partly due to
inherent talent, partly to a good instructor and mostly to do with
practice and perseverance.
I've met really good and really bad travelers from both groups-dogs and
canes.  Dog users do have to be more committed to the practice portion
of the equation though.  Guide dog programs also require some level of
cane skill before getting a guide.  I suppose this does eliminate a few
people from getting a dog.  Although if they have the perseverance part
of the equation, they could acquire the skills they need to qualify for
the dog.  So in the end, for me, it comes down to motivation.  How
motivated a person is to be a good traveler is going to have a huge
impact on how well they travel, cane or dog.

I'm a good traveler with either tool.  My preference is obviously a
guide dog, but I don't feel any hesitation in leaving Monty behind if
that is what is best.  Well, I don't hesitate due to travel worries, but
I do miss him.

Like Cindy, I worry about finding suitable places to relieve Monty when
I travel to other cities.  Sometimes when entering a new restaurant or
business I wonder if I am going to have access problems.  Next week I am
attending a training thing for work.  the event is taking place at an
Asian Center.  It does stress me a bit, knowing that there could be an
access issue.

JMHO
Julie J.