[nagdu] Disability and Alert dogs

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 04:35:46 UTC 2011

Lisa, all this occurred over a period of about 37 years. Mostly when I lived
in Connecticut. When I got the seizure diagnosis, I was still living in CT.
After I moved to Arizona is when I got diagnosed as legally blind about 15
years ago.My eye sight has declined more in the last 2 years. Lora, I
trained Lily as a service dog first as I was using a wheelchair by then
because of Spinal Stenosis. I did not realize that I had Macular
Degeneration at that time. I just thought that my double vision had become
worse. I first tried to train Lily to leash guide me and then got a trainer
to help me to train her as a guide dog. The son of the first trainer has
helped me to train my second dog, Nala who is now retired, and my third dog,
Shaman.They usually train search and rescue dogs, but were nice enough to
help me with my dogs.That is how I learned about clicker training.Lyn, I
always get the "your are not blind",and if you can see me touching the
dog,you don't need that dog" after I have chastised some one for petting my
dog.I recently went to a new eye doc for my Voc Rehab person and was told
that my original diagnosis of cataracts was wrong.???? She said I do not
have Cataracts, but I do have the other conditions. I wonder why one doc
would tell me that I have cataracts and the other doc tells me I
don't????Not that it makes a whole lot of difference as my sight is screwed
up anyway.I just think that is a weird situation.Of course now this
misdiagnosis is holding up getting my new screen reader from Voc Rehab.I am
going to have to down load the old one back on to my computer and it does
not work all that well. I guess that it is better than nothing.....but such
is life.   Have a great day, Mardi and Shaman and Nala,retired.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/