[nagdu] Training for Overheads WAS Cost of owning a guide dog

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 19 03:36:50 UTC 2011

Gary,

Which does beg the question why.  /grin/

To start with when it comes to teaching our guides to look out for things at
our head height is to remember that it is not natural for a dog to consider
any such thing.  Any more than we go along watching out for things 20 feet
high...  It's just not something we're wired to look for, so we don't
register that sort of thing when we're navigating by sight.  Same with dogs.

So the key is to bring things at your head height to the dog's attention.
This is much trickier to do when you can't see it yourself.  /smile/  I
would suggest going to a familiar route with, say, low-hanging twigs and
small branches -- say new growth weighed down a bit by spring buds or some
such.

I always wore -- and still do when I'm hiking and stuff -- a baseball cap
and sunglasses to protect my noggin and eyes.  Be careful *not* to mention
to any sighted person who asks that you are wearing the sunglasses to
protect your eyes so they don't get poked out.  The sighted person is far
too likely to blurt out:  But why does it matter if your eyes get poked out
when you can't use them anyway?  You do not want to hear this question,
trust me.  If, in a careless moment, you forget yourself and get to hear it
asked, whatever you do, don't just answer it.  This will only confuse the
sighted person, who will ask it again, more insistently.  This sort of thing
can cause permanent brain damage. /evil grin/

Okay, so there you are.  You're wearing your baseball cap and your shades,
you've got your poodle on leash in one hand and your cane in the other.  Go
out looking for something to brush your head on!

When you do, stop and gasp in horror.  Say, "Ow!" loudly and dramatically.
Whack the object with your cane and duck extravagantly as you seek your way
around it.  Sigh with ostentatious relief when you've done so.  Go on to the
next obstacle and do it again.  Wipe your hand across your forehead -- as
close as the bill of the cap will allow, to draw attention to what you're
relieved to have not hit.

With this obstacle, look at your poodle and ask him if he can figure it out.
He is likely to be looking at you like you're just plain nuts by now, but do
it anyway.  /lol/  If he doesn't leash guide, perhaps try touching his head
in a gesture of helpless need for guidance around this thing that is in
front of your head.

Then go have fun with the poodle.  While you're playing ball with him, hold
the ball at your head height to bring his attention there before you throw
it.  Do this a couple of times, have fun some other way, do it again a
couple of times, etc.  On the way home, perhaps let the poodle walk in front
of you as you approach your low-hanging branches.  Show your hesitancy and
hold the cane in front of your face to protect it.  See if the poodle pulls
or nudges you around the obstacles.  If he's anything like mine, he's
probably figured it out by now and will give you a little help since he
doesn't want to hear all your carping and complaining....

If you use a clicker or praise, do that when he starts to nudge you.  If he
doesn't, stop and turn around to try to find a way around the obstacle with
the cane you're holding in front of your face...  Etc.  When he first gets
it and "helps" you avoid the obstacle, don't forget to gush while you're
clicking and/or praising or whatever.  Oh, and smile!  Laugh.  Poodles
*live* for smiles and laughter.

Do this the next day, and maybe the next, remembering to gush and praise and
grin like a maniac as your poodle picks up this wonderful new idea and way
to make you happy.

Then try it in harness, but do remember to wear your shades and cap, just in
case.  If you brush your head, just turn the dog around and have him try it
again until he remembers to take you around.  Gush.  Go on to the next
obstacle, repeat as necessary.  When you get to the park, play like a fiend
and laugh a lot for your dog.  /lol/

That is, in fact, the way I taught Mitzi.  I started with that and a lot of
other concepts while we were still doing long leash work when she was a pup.
But I bet your young fellow will pick it up as quickly.  That quirky poodle
intelligence and sense of play makes training new concepts and behaviors
ridiculously easy, especially if they're complicated. The boring stuff took
a lot longer with Mitzi, and I just sort of had to wait for her to grow up
enough to be still.  /smile/

You may want to adapt the technique for your guy, naturally.  Just remember
that the main thing you're trying to accomplish is to clue him in to
obstacles at head height and to let him know that these will cause you
problems if he doesn't take you around them.  Then, of course, the grin and
gush when he does get it right, or simply having him do it over if you do
brush your head...  You may not have noticed, but poodles *hate* to be
bored, and going past the same obstacle again and again is bo-ring!  /lol/

Good luck and let me know what you work out and how it goes!

Tami Smith-Kinney