[nagdu] Fake Service Dogs

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Nov 3 16:05:49 UTC 2011

Lea,

If your friend needs a dog in her home for therapeutic reasons, she is
within her rights under the FHA to have one.  Companion animals of this
variety do not need any specific task training because they do what they
do by the nature of being an animal.   A letter from her health care
professional is sufficient to show need.

The rules for disabled people utilizing the assistance of a trained
service dog in public fall under the ADA.  It's a different law and
covers entirely different situations. These are the dogs that must be
task trained to mitigate the handler's disability.  They must be well
mannered and not interfere with the normal flow of business.

I hope the distinction makes sense. As long as your friend has the dog
at home or pet friendly places, she isn't breaking any laws.

Julie