[nagdu] Audible Traffic lights

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 13 22:19:44 UTC 2011

Larry,

As we get more and more signals here in Portland and out into the
'burbs, I've discovered that I *adore* them as landmarks. /lol/ So long
as I know where these landmarks are in any given area I might be
traveling, I've discovered I can orient from their location for a couple
of blocks in any direction. That does not make life harder for me for
sure. /grin/

In busy downtown traffic, with pedestrians and bicyclists and who knows
what else zipping around in every direction making noise, I have also
found that with some practice and analysis on my part, I couldd use
those signals as a helpful tool for getting a better sense of the
traffic patterns. It's hard to explain, but I was using the information
from the signal to then make more sense of the sounds around me, to
better hear the changes in sound of both paralell and perpendicular
traffic... If that makes any sense to anyone. Since I figured out how to
do this, I have had friendlier feelings toward them than I did for a
long time.

The notion that these signals are the end all and be all for little old
blind people everywhere is not my friend, but... This is new technology,
really, and we can always learn from each other how to use it for
ourselves in a safe manner or choose to ignore the signals we pass. /smile/

Tami