[nagdu] SPECIAL ASSIGNMENT: Fake service dogs and the negative impact

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 15 17:26:21 UTC 2011

Cindy,

As an owner-trainer, I worry about the prospect of needing certification
quite a bit. I also refuse to get a certificate off the internet to show
people to make life easier for myself or to get a vest for the same
reasons. My dog's training and comportment speak for themselves. Period.
If she is not fit to be in public, then that is on me and I should not
take her there. She is, so I do because that is my right under the law.

When I read these fake service dogs reports I have to slap myself around
these days to keep from getting really extra snarly on the subject. /smile/

I keep coming back to seeing the best solution as real enforcement of
the law when it comes to the fakes and frauds, with real penalties.
Cracking down on service dog users won't trouble the fakes and frauds at
all, it seems to me. They'll just have to be a bit more creative to
carry on their misconduct...

There is also good old-fashioned communication and education, publicly
and by each and every one of us. I am not an educator or a communicator,
so it always surprises me how easily I do either now because of all the
practice I get. /smile/

Tami