[nagdu] Talking or chirpping lights

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 16 19:27:20 UTC 2011

Hi Cheryl:

Basically I agree with you in that we need to be teaching all means for road crossings and the first, most important way, is to learn how to use your ears and be safe. However, we should also learn how to intregrate audible signals to assist us in making these safe crossings. It's like with my dog, I have taught him to find the poll where a button would be for a cross walk. If there is no pole or no button then we move onto the road crossing without these things. However, if they are there then they alert me that the light has changed which simply lowers the amount of things I listening for as we cross. As I've said before, I certainly don't think once I hear a noise I just start walking without doing all the other thins I've learned to do. The sound just tells me that the walk sign is active so I can cautiously proceed.

Gary