[nagdu] out and about

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Nov 17 18:24:52 UTC 2011

Today was the first day since I broke my foot that I've been able to
leave my home without human assistance!  Yea! I put Monty in his
mobility harness and headed out the front door.  We made it to the
corner and back without any problems. This is about a block and a half
of total actual walking distance.  I've been working on building up the
distance I can walk without the crutches.  Up until now, though, I've
always had a family member along just in case I would fall or go too far
and not be able to make it back.

For now I'm using the mobility harness because the fixed in place handle
helps me a lot to feel more secure on my feet. I can follow his
movements well enough using this harness at the speed I am moving.  Also
if I bobble a bit this harness along with Monty's ability to brace keeps
me from falling.   He's doing great at stopping for every change in the
walking surface.  This was not something that I needed before.  For
example Monty will now stop when we get to the alley where we change
from cement to dirt.  Before I never bothered with teaching him to stop
at this sort of change because I just kept on walking with no
difficulty.  Now I need to know we are at the alley because the dirt is
slightly uneven, but enough that I could misstep.

Anyway I'm super excited!  Being able to walk this far with Monty means
that I will be able to take a cab or have a driver  drop me off at the
curb and I'll be able to get into the building on my own.  Well as soon
as I figure out how to manage those big heavy doors.  Or I need to teach
Monty to find the automatic door opener buttons or something.

Julie