[nagdu] OK... I Feel Really STUPID!!! and other things

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Oct 19 13:15:21 UTC 2011

Bibi,

To help you with your research...the Fair Housing Act is the law that
applies to your apartment situation.  To the best of my recollection it
states that you have to request accommodations of your landlord/housing
manager.  Those accommodations would generally be at your own expense.
About service animals under FHA, of course they are allowed with no
restrictions that I know of.  You can also have an emotional support
animal with a doctor's note.  To clarify, service animals are the sort
that go into public places with their handlers and emotional support
animals are the sort that stay at home because they don't have any
specific training.

The ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act covers most public sorts of
places, hotels, museums, restaurants, banks etc.  It also covers
employment situations.

Then there are individual state laws.  This is where it gets a bit
confusing.  Generally speaking, if you abide by the federal law you
should be okay.  State laws cannot be more restrictive than the federal
versions.

There are other laws, but hopefully that will help some to clear things
up a bit.  Or perhaps I've muddled them worse?  *smile*

Also Bibi, I don't think people are concerned with whether or not you
are working Otie.  It was just confusing because you said he was retired
and then you mentioned working him.  Me personally I don't retire my
dogs cold turkey.  I ease back their work so the transition to couch
potato is easier for them.  Each person and dog is different though, and
you need to do what you need to do.

Best,
Julie