[nagdu] pet insurances

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Sep 3 15:14:08 UTC 2011

In the U.S. a hospital emergency room must treat you.  So if a person
was attacked by a dog and went to the ER for treatment, he/she would be
taken care of regardless of insurance.  then the hospital will take the
next I don't know how long, to try to get the money from the person.
There is government assistance for qualifying low income individuals for
health care.  Also there are many charities that would probably help too.

Now as to the owner of the attacking dog...that is harder to know.  It
would first depend on whether or not the police were involved and
whether or not a citation was issued.   If so this would lead to a
criminal case against the person.  They would have to appear in court
and could be made to pay restitution. They might also have to pay a
fine, serve jail time, be on probation or complete community service
hours.  Generally speaking dog attack cases are given fairly light
consequences.

The injured person could later take the attacking dog owner to civil
court to try to reclaim health care expenses and perhaps lost wages and
compensation for trauma.  Court cases of this nature tend to drag out
for a long time.  If the person who was attacked was successful in court
he/she would be awarded some amount of money by the judge.  Regardless
of whether or not the attacking dog owner has the money they are
required to pay it.   Now actually getting the money is another long ordeal.

It's quite complicated with absolutely no guarantees along the way.

HTH
Julie