[nagdu] School Applications

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 6 15:49:39 UTC 2011

Sam,

Good way to sum up.

I'll just toss in that if you have a specific breed requirement, it can
take much longer. People who need a poodle or doodle or other
hypoallergenic breed can end up waiting a year or more for a dog because
they're still really rare, although there are getting to be more of
them. Some people are willing to wait for a dog of their preference
without having a "special" need for that breed. You know, some folks
must have a shepherd and are willing to wait to get one when they might
have gotten a dog much sooner if they were willing to accept a lab or or
other more frequent breed. Then again, some prefer a shepherd and get
one right off because the school has a match for them that is a
shepherd, even though the person would accept whichever came
up. /smile/

So, while it seems most guide dog users I know have strong breed and
sometimes even color and gender preferences, most agree that b being too
firm on that choice will extend your wait.

Hope it doesn't sound like I'm telling you not to have a preference or
ask for one. Just mentioning that it can sometimes affect wait time.
Especially if you're needing a hypoallergenic breed.

Welcome to the list, and I'm looking forward to hearing how your journey
goes! I've enjoyed having a number of prospective guide dog users join
us in the past two or three months. I get to listen and share their
process and learn more about all the other people I think I know,
without having to fill out the paperwork and wait myself. /grin/

Tami