[nagdu] How would you respond?

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 24 20:16:56 UTC 2012

Steve,

Ugh! I am so sorry for both the dog and the handler. I've been surprised
to learn how many guide dog users around here have PTSD from having
their guides attacked, even if it was a previous guide and the guide
lived and was able to be rehabbed to continue working. The handlers
still have nightmares. /shudder/

What would I do if I were the handler? And if I were in a formal
blindness training program, which I can presume I would need for future
life? Sheesh! Well, this is off the top of my head, since I'm not in the
situation.

1. Ensure that the dog's injuries are being treated to ensure the best
hope of success in achieving full physical recovery. I assume your
friend's son is doing this and can hopefully have the finances or
financial assistance for it.
2. Give the dog a break, assuming it is physically healthy enough to
work. Spend time with it in play and relaxation, then slowly start out
on long leash walks in safe environments, praising and reviewing guide
dog behaviors in a light way. Mostly, though just a relaxed enjoyable
sniff 'n stroll in the great wide world. How this particular handler is
supposed to find time for that with his own training, I don't know. But
something like that to help the dog and handler both recover
psychologically would, I think, go a long way in giving the dog a better
chance of returning to work without anxiety issues... Maybe
3. Treat the anxiety medically or with a good herbal calming agent like
Rescue Remedy. That way, the chemical components of stress and anxiety
are kept under control, so that the dog can mentally deal with is fears
in a rational way.
4. Watch the dog when it resumes work. Try to work with the anxiety to
see if it can be reduced and eliminated, but...

If the dog is too stressed and anxious to work and that is not resolving
over time... There's only one thing to do then, I'm afraid. Well, you
know about that with Misha. Sigh. It comes down to your safety and the
health and well-being of the dog.

Oh, and if at all possible, I would go all out getting recourse from the
attacking dog's owner. If the student's state has a strong guide dog
protection law, then there is some hope he (she?) can use that to see
that the owner experiences real consequences for not keeping his dog
under control. Also, wouldn't the owner be liable for the guide dog's
vet expenses? And some of the costs to the handler in addressing the
medical issues and being without a guide dog and having to go get
another, if that is what he chooses?

Anyway, I don't know what this other handler's options are or what
access to recourse he has, but... Since you asked what *I* would do...
That's my general plan in case it happens to us. /shudder/

I wish the best for both of them!

Tami