[nagdu] (NAGDU) Could it be the weather?

Lisa belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Thu Apr 26 15:36:28 UTC 2012

Juanita,

It is very possible.  Some dogs are more sensitive than others.

My first dog was a huge golden Lab cross, but he was a marshmallow before
and during thunderstorms.  I called him my furry doplar radar because he'd
start panting and getting clingy and hour or so before a storm.  He'd work
fine if we had the misfortune to get caught outside, but he did a low level
shivering the whole time.  It was hard to not baby him because the poor guy
was obviously terrified.  He also didn't like fireworks and would exhibit
some of the same behavior even though we were safe inside.

Katy couldn't care less.  We've had a few minor earthquakes here and she
literally slept through the strongest one while the whole apartment building
shivered and shook.

We had a huge storm blow through here in May, 2009.  Tornado sirens were
blaring, the power was flickering on and off and Katy was zooming around the
apartment wanting to play ring toss while I was grabbing my cell phone and
weather radio.

I've had her outside on the fourth of July while our city was setting off
their fireworks a few blocks over and it didn't stop her from doing her busy
busy thing.

The only time she acted odd was in a friend's apartment where I was giving a
computer lesson.  For some reason Katy would start panting and shivering as
soon as we walked into the friend's apartment.  She was fine on the walk to
the building, fine in the elevator and fine once we exited the apartment.
It was something about that apartment, because she loved the person I was
teaching and didn't have any other reactions anyplace else.  I never did
figure out what was causing her to act so scared.

Lisa

When life gives you lemons, throw them at something.  Always makes me feel
better.
Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com