[nagdu] Guide dog use in countries other than the U.S.

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Aug 30 12:01:56 UTC 2012

Hi Nadja.
That's interesting.  Do you carry the stick all the time?
If my dog stops for some reason, I put out my foot to see if it's a curb,
step, or big crack in the sidewalk.  If I don't find anything, I put out
my hand to see if there's something up higher, like construction tape.
Sometimes, if I feel very uncertain, I might get out my folding cane and
use it to see what's happening, but that's very rare.
I like having a free hand to open doors, get out my bus pass, carry coffee
... whatever.  I always say blind people ought to be able to grow a third
hand, since one is always being used for mobility purposes.

I'm Tracy, and I have a black lab from The Seeing Eye named Ben.  I live
in New Jersey and work in New York City.  My mother's side of the family
are Swedish, so I'm particularly interested to hear about how things are
in the old country.
Nice to meet you!
Tracy