[nagdu] NHD National History Day question

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Feb 2 02:32:20 UTC 2012

Brook,

I think the time period you are most interested in is a bit before any
of us here got our first guide dogs!  The Seeing Eye was the first guide
dog program in the United States, starting in 1928 if I'm remembering
correctly.  Those first couple of years they were only placing a few
dogs a year.  Even counting in the extremely rare person that might have
trained their own guide or service dog, and the people who received
trained dogs in other countries, there would have been an extremely
small number of dogs working with disabled people of any variety in the
1930's.

The White Cane laws didn't come about until the 50's, again from my
memory.  Some of those laws did include provisions for guide dogs.  To
the best of my guessing, which I'm doing a lot of here, I'd say it
wasn't until the 70's when the average person knew what a guide dog
was.  I think we can thank TV for this.  Whether that is good or bad, is
an entirely different discussion! *smile*  Of course it wasn't until
1990 that we got the federal ADA which formally acknowledged the civil
rights of individuals with disabilities.  Now we are 22 years post ADA
and I am still asked with some frequency why I have a dog in the store.
So I guess not everyone got the memo.

Sorry I can't help you more.  I don't know anyone who has had guide dogs
as long back as the 1930's.  I don't even know someone who knows someone
who knows someone who might be able to help you. If you have questions
about things in say the past 50 years I think we could help out a lot
more. *smile*

Best of luck on your project!
Julie