[nagdu] Getting a guide dog

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 06:36:17 UTC 2012

Hi, RJ,
I decided to get a guide dog, not just because I needed one, but also to be
a great friend for times of traveling.
After I got hit by a car the first time in my mom's neck of the woods almost
fifteen years ago back when I was a junior in high school, I felt it would
be better off as the dog would warn me if a car was coming.
I also felt like an eagle, spreading my wings to fly freely.
Yes, there's a big responsibility having to care fo Odie, but I enjoy as a
great partner/friend for the most part.
All of my guies were great, but Odie was the best one I've worked with and
he also helpped out by lowering anxiety and allowing me to be able to build
up that trust within him directly.
I'll admit that Odie wasn't the one responsible for building up my
confidence level.
I had to build it up myself from the beginning.
I also like the idea of being able to move faster from point A to point B
without having a cane continuously get stuck in cracks or fences upon having
it jab me right in the rib cage or stomach.
I enjoy that independence of being able to go where I want to go without
having to wait on family to drive me everywhere and there are times when my
husband Dale can't go with me either.
Yes, I'll still plan on working with a guide dog as long as I can until I
can no longer get out and about.
I don't consider Odie a dog nor an animal as it is like taking care of a
kid.
If he's called a dog or an animal by someone else, he feels insulted since
he prefers to behave like a real human kid.
All I can say for you is that you are the one who ultimately have to decide
if you would like to have a guide dog in your life or if you'd rather stick
to the cane.
As for the other people within your church, they need to put themselves in
your shoes along with continuously claiming you're making excuses.
If you are happy with using your cane, then I say stick with that method of
travel.
What's most important is that you are able to travel, but yes, living in an
area where there's no public transportation can be hard and tough.
Another thought to ponder on if you were to have a guide dog is how offten
would the dog be worked, keeping up on daily training like obedience and
maintenance: feeding and vet check ups.
Majority of the guide dog schools do offer a veternarian allowance up to
$250.00 to help you pay for vet costs.
Although my first two guides didn't work as long as Odie did, they did teach
me lots of things and I learned more from Odie too.
Bibi, husband Dale and Odie
medical alert service dog
the happy spirited bounty labra wolf