[nagdu] Dog separation at vet

Robert Hooper hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Wed Feb 8 18:26:34 UTC 2012

Hello all:

I find myself in a difficult situation. Bailey has an appointment with the dermatology folks at the OSU vet clinic-they are examining a recent skin infection he has contracted. Anyway, I was told that I could not accompany him back to dermatology-the reasoning being that there were other animals back there and OSU would be liable for any injuries I might suffer. They said they don't generally allow clients (people) back into the hospital area with their animals and seem very strict about it. I asked if they could make any exception because of the fact that Bailey is a service animal, but they were unwilling. They are having me wait in the lobby. Even after I explained that my mobility would be impaired if I had to go anywhere, they were unwilling. The senior student with whom I spoke was very kind and understanding, but she was the "go between"-I couldn't speak with the folks in dermatology before and it doesn't appear as though I will be able to do so when Bailey returns. I know that he can't help me much while being examined, but I would be there, his harness would be there, etc. Not knowing what my rights are, I finally surrendered-I removed his harness and handed over the leash (which was pretty difficult). My concerns about my traveling ability aren't the only reasons I am reluctant to surrender the dog to anyone. I don't want him to think it's okay or "normal" for anyone to take hold of his leash and lead him away; I don't want him to feel comfortable with other people (not necessarily afraid, just not comfortable being surrounded by strangers); I want to ask the examining staff questions directly and not wait until after the fact; and I just don't care for him undergoing painful skin scrapings without me present. Although, on further reflection, he might realize that strangers leading him away results in pain, so maybe this is a good thing (but I don't think so). Anyway, I was wondering what my rights would be in this situation-I know the ADA covers all public accommodations, but the "general public" isn't generally allowed where Bailey is going-therefore, I don't believe I am being discriminated against because of my blindness, etc. However, there is the issue that I am separated from my means of mobility. This sort of muddies the waters a bit, and, not being intimately familiar with the text of the ADA (or other applicable laws), I'm not sure what to think or what my rights are. I'm sitting in the lobby writing this message right now, waiting for Bailey's return.
Also, are the aforementioned reasons for my reluctance to be separated from Bailey valid? Need I be concerned about any of my...well...concerns? I feel confused in more than one way-legally and from a training/behavioral/emotional perspective. Any guidance would be relieving.
Sincerely,
Robert Hooper
Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu<mailto:Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu>
The Ohio State University