[nagdu] guide dog cargo while on the go.

Robert Hooper hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Thu Feb 23 17:17:04 UTC 2012

Hola a todos:

I have never been one for much guide dog luggage--however, I always have a poop bag handy. I usually only carry one, as the bags I use are supposed to be used in small trash cans such as the ones found in many bathrooms. I like these bags for their durability, vanilla scent, and handle-free nature. I disliked the bags at TSE because their narrowness somewhat inhibited hand motion. The bags I use are a bit oversized, but they ensure that (1) I have enough room to pick up everything and (2) I will be hard pressed to get any doggy dung on my hands. Anyway, I digress.
I always have a bag in my back pocket, a gentle leader in a front pocket, and a tie down in my backpack (although that's mostly because I never took it out after returning home). Being a college student, I am rarely gone for eight hour chunks of time, thus I can adjust the dog's eating/drinking/relieving schedule to be flexible around my own. As such, I haven't had the need of packing things like water bowls, food, etc. However, when I go on overnight trips, I pack his grooming equipment, enough food for the duration of the stay (as many pet stores don't carry the Evo brand of food), a roll of poop bags, and two bowls--one for food and the other for water. The dog does not carry any pouches, signs, bags, containers, etc. I have never seen any such things for a dog, but I know people use them. It sounds as though many on this list carry much more than I do. At TSE, the class was presented with a list of equipment, from which we chose what we wished to purchase. A collapsible water bowl was amongst the available items, however I decided not to buy it--I do not recall why. As previously stated, however, I have not yet encountered a situation where I wished to have one; that may change when I work in one building for a considerable chunk of the day and the dog will need to be watered and relieved at the workplace. I confess that I am a bit surprised at some of the things people carry--probably because I carry nothing save, dog, leash, harness, gentle leader, and poop bag.

Robert Hooper
Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
The Ohio State University
0653 Buckeye-Cuyahoga CT