[nagdu] Doggy B.O.

Robert Hooper hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Tue Feb 28 04:27:33 UTC 2012

Hello Mark:

How we love our shepherd kids. Anyway, it seems as though he just doesn't relish the thought of your hands in that area--maybe try some behavior/obedience exercises? I taught Bailey a command which means "stand up", for example. If Bailey were exhibiting this behavior, I would tell him to stand up, praise him, etc. After a while, I would add the "rest" command to make him stand still. So then, if he rebels and sits down despite my giving him the rest command, that would be when I would give him a correction and start over. I would do this until I could wash the area with him standing. I never let him do anything without permission--if he started walking away after I told him to "rest", that would be means for a correction, followed by praise when he displays appropriate behavior. I never let him get away with trying to dictate what he wants. On a further note, have you tried cleaning him while he is laying down? Bailey's skin rash is near that general area, so when I wash it, I just have him lay on his side and make him "rest"; however, Bailey is a very accepting dog once he realizes that I mean business and will keep at it all night until he complies. That area is very easy to reach when a dog is laying on its side--unless he is in pain, you shouldn't have to hold him down or anything, thus leaving both hands free. Bailey is very easygoing for the most part.
Shepherds have their quirks and can be stubborn, but that makes it all the more fun in my opinion--I consider it an impressive feat to not only win over a shepherd, but to master it as well! Muhahahahaha (cue evil music in a minor key).
Sincerely,
Robert Hooper
Hooper.90 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
The Ohio State University