[nagdu] Guide Dogs and Horse Shows

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Jan 3 13:03:34 UTC 2012

Tami,

If I were considering taking Monty to a horse show I would think about:
how much exposure he has had to horses
what were his reactions
did his experience with horses include them moving fast close to him?
how much exposure to craziness has the horse had?  in this case I'd say
quite a bit
will there be a fence or barrier between me and the horses?
if I take him and it doesn't go as expected do I have a back up plan
where I can still enjoy myself?
will I be interacting with the horses at any time making it necessary
for someone else to mind my dog?
will the benefit I get from working Monty be more than the things I must
do to keep both him and the horses safe and at ease?

Monty has been to our state fair where he was around horses pulling
carriages,  to a very sedate horse show at the fair and through the
horse barns.  We also have horses in a pasture about 6 blocks from my
house.  He does fine around horses as long as there is 6 feet or so of
room between him and them.  closer than that and he gets nervous.  Now
llamas are a completely different thing.  No clue why, but the boy is
freaked out about llamas!

Julie