[nagdu] News broadcast, a boy and his guide dog

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Wed Jan 4 02:41:58 UTC 2012

Lori, you might be aware that Leader does start to match with individuals as
young as 16.  By no stretch is this 9, but it is probably more common-place
today with other schools than we realize.

Also, there is a local school here in Wisconsin called OccuPaws, that does
this same thing with kids even younger.  However, keep in mind, that these
dogs might not be functionally serving in the capacity as defined under
State and Federal laws and in fact, be more of that of companion animals.
The key question then is, what is this dog trained to do, and based on what
we are seeing, it is more likely that of comapanionship than actual guiding.

Just my observations.

Steve

Steve