[nagdu] When is the Connection Too Much?

Robert Harris Harris.Robert at epamail.epa.gov
Thu Jan 12 21:27:40 UTC 2012

bobby and Prince thoughts, yes great topic. I'm a very high profile
traveler and am high energy rough around the edges a bit, but here
goes:0)

I'm a 3 most of the time. Anyone who has a problem with my dog, I
respect and avoid (costed me part time jobs, girl friends and a few
friends). I tried the 1., cooperation thing but the cooperation thing is
a long dangerous freight train that will crush somebody like a over
cooked pea. My dog goes everywhere with me.  AND I am the team leader,
not the expert public person with the puppy in a cage massive
experience.  I despise people that try to out think me and belittle me
so that makes me pushy.  I can make the angriest person smile so that
makes me a 6.  I use 1 through 4 so I guess I go through a barrier or
around it or yes avoid it too sometimes.  Depends on a few things,
Money, not being  cornered/thought for, safety conditions, something I
call trading your rights in for the spirit of cooperation
(OverAPATHETIC) . I've seen houses I wouldn't let my dog breathe in.
If I wind up someplace and find a problem my experience takes over, I
leave ASAP and no my dog can't be tied up in somebody's garage or yard.
But thirty years of running all over this great country and making it
through Mexico and other countries dog in hand, climbing diamondhead etc
etc. I learned allot of tricks and twicks to get out of sticky
situations.  I have experienced that the level of confidence and the
strong personality and demanding that people don't try guilt trips and
patronizing "put your foot down" is necessary a lot of the time or you
wind up under that freight train, your dog master team either fails or
flips in a negative life threatening way or so many other not good
possibilities.  Civil rights, the ADA and the Rehab act are all linked
and I feel people suffered greatly for these laws, acts etc.  the reason
we have them is because people with disabilities have always had a major
up hill climb for any level of fairness including adult being treated
like an adult..  we keep hearing Dignity and respect. But a blind person
using a guide dog in my experience seems to get the guilt trip or the
trade your rights in for overapathy more then someone using an untrained
animal.

If I'm invited to a private home I make sure Prince will gbe beside me
"leash in hand" or we respectfully decline the invite.

I don't even let prince run my house because its only three months.
Kelly (my wife) after about a year is able to let Johnson run things.  I
found about a year is a good thing for all 6 of my dogs and 5 of
Kelly's. But family homes, cruise ships, other home of non dog guide
users No he is a part of me and must stay by me and run with me. There
are too many nasty things out there that cause Unscheduled emptying or
puke times so I found you really got to watch your dog closely.

Reasons I accept for leaving a dog in another room, and MRI will
demagnetize a chip (can't have that and find out when your leaving the
country), tie down or in another room with bone and bed sports events
your participating in like shooting competition, beepball  etc. Hospital
intensive care (if the nurse don't dress the dog and beg you to bring
him/her along.

Finally people are generally  good but do tend to use the 5 thousand
year old stigma/stereo types tagged on people who are totally blind
regardless of how professional we act, how careful we are how much
education we have and how much experience we have. If I hear a story
about my dog, I tell them about the time he drove a CTA bus with a big
mack in one paw, a nice cigar in the other and a cell phone stuck to the
extra catchup on his face.  Yes Sniffing is a challenge with all dogs
especially the taller ones like Prince:0) but I'd rather have my dogs
nose touch someone then a nice long cane taking out a knee:0) correcting
is good but sometimes people will crowd us and I just keep dropping the
harness and scratching princes head and what ever command I need done
again and it works.

the unscheduled stops are interesting because I've had and seen dogs
that will let you know by panting or acting crazy and I've had and seen
dogs that just stop and "empty" so I usually don't scold to much for
emptying in route but in a building is a red button for me just like
table food.

Hows that for covering about 30 different emails in one:0)

Bobby and Prince going to play in a secret hallway for a few minutes.