[nagdu] Owner training

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 21 17:46:21 UTC 2012

Katrin,

This is all too true, and quite daunting. Next time, I really do want to
start with a young puppy -- 8 to 12 weeks -- for a number of reasons.
Then I remember the eggs to basket ratio there, in light of the
statistical odds of success and realize that this is a risky
proposition, indeed.

Then there is serendipity and luck... Which is how I ended up with
Mitzi, who is all of the above. She is a very mellow poodle, although
she is still a poodle, so that is all relative. To me, the positives of
some of the extra poodle challenges outweigh the negatives... And those
negatives have been not all that difficult to mitigate and redirect
toward the positive aspects of her essential poodleness... So she is
very high-alert, and will have a startled reflex toward surprises, but
it is small and she just goes right back to work. I understand it is a
poodle trait that others have learned to deal with. The positive is that
she can go around being aware of *everything* without running me into
anything... If there's a squirrel, she might appear to be focused on it,
prancing in harness, etc., etc., Meanwhile, I just walk along with her,
smiling benignly, without a care in the world. Because I know she will
be taking me around overheads and other obstacles, stopping at curbs,
you name it, without eve seeming to be aware of them. Obviously, she
is... I get the impression she is most comfortable planning a route well
ahead of where we are actually walking. At first, I thought I was just
being silly thinking that, but... I have seen her do some very undoglike
advance planning and cannot deny that this consistently appears to be
the case when she is working. Go figure. /smile/

The really interesting thing is DD's puppy Zay... Who came to us through
sheer luck and serendipity... She is structurally sound, healthy... A
mixed breed of unknown etiology, really, so that makes prediction of
some things a bit unpredictable. But so far, she is growing well and
nicely. She passes every temperament test in the book and then some! If
I were out looking for the perfect guide dog prospect, I could not ask
for better! She's just hitting the 16 week mark, so much remains to be
seen. But I do find it fascinating that we just casually ended up with
such a winner without trying... Also, I can play at the advanced
training for fun because she is his dog, and Mitzi will only be 7.5 when
Zay is 2... So I have fun with puppy training and learning Zay's ways
and motivations and watching her understanding grow... Without having to
worry about how it's all going to turn out, since all she needs to be is
a nice dog for her dad and us curly girls. /smile/

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry you had to go through all
that and am glad you have a good partner to travel with.

Tami