[nagdu] Now available: Service and Support Pet ID "Kits" from Skymall

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Jul 8 22:19:03 UTC 2012

I think everyone has figured out by now that I'm not a fan of ID cards.
I checked out the link you sent, including their qualifications and FAQ
page.  My first impression is that website is not very accessible.
However they are spot on with giving accurate information in their FAQ
section.  They even state that ID's are not required and that there is
no certifying body for service animals in the U.S.

Granted people that purchase this sort of thing are generally those
trying to get by with something illegal, but I really can't see anything
wrong with what this company is offering. There are loads of places on
the internet to buy this sort of thing.  Some are more ethical than
others.  I think as long as the company is clear about what a service
animal is, who can be using one and what the ID card can actually do for
you, well then they aren't doing anything wrong.  It's the people that
purchase this stuff knowing they aren't disabled and don't have a
service animal that are the problem.  If we made it illegal to sell
service dog equipment it would cause problems for people who are truly
disabled with trained service dogs trying to live our lives.

I didn't watch the video though.  So maybe I'm missing something?  My
computer doesn't do well with flash.  Can you describe what's in the video?

Thanks!
Julie