[nagdu] 12 years...

Jen and Aiken jenandnixon at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 01:23:56 UTC 2012

..... ago, it is hard to believe, the clueless 18 year old flew to Toronto
to train with my first guide dog on July 9th. Not knowing what was ahead of
me, unprepared, scared, nervous and excited to train with my first guide dog
through LFC (Lions Foundation of Canada). I look back at the training
experience as a learning opportunity for my subsequent two dogs, knowing the
temperament and pace/pull I needed when I applied to GDB.

I'm so pleased with the last two dogs GDB has trained for me, and the most
recent to be trained on the right side for the sake of my left shoulder that
can't handle the pull too much in the winter months.

I didn't know any better when the O and M instructor I had at the time, my
first one, gave me two separate packages, one was from Lioins Foundation
that was much thinner and less informative and GDB had a huge thicker and
more informative package about their training program. My gut instincts told
me to go there; however, peer pressure through many folks telling me to
attend LFC as they were *SO* great for people with severe deafblindness...
this wasn't the case for me, but I learned from those mistakes and don't
regret applying to GDB after Bronze retired in May 2004.

I've accomplished *SO* much in the last 12 years, even my health is
better... I do have good and bad days, but I'm way more active than I ever
was!

I've accomplished college graduation, a successful volunteer job that almost
became a paid position (unsuccessful in finding funding to make it happen),
starting my own pet sitting business, moving into my first apartment this
year, Nixon and Aiken. Aiken is such a sweetheart, and I hope our
relationship will be strong for many years to come!

Time sure flies so fast, and it doesn't seem like 12 years ago... WOW!

Jen and Aiken