[nagdu] home and more

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 9 06:06:00 UTC 2012

Hi, Marsha,
Glad the trip went smooth for you coming back home and you two were able to catch up with family.
I don't think Lucas felt that you were crazy while shedding tears.
Sounds like he was a good support for you during this dificult time and am glad TSE will be coming out to see what's going on.
Truth is that it can be hard when that rough ending has to happen for both dog and handler.
Here's something I can share from my experiences with my other guide dog.
Freedom David Berry was a great dog, but more meant to be a pet instead.
I might as well admit that I thought we were both a safe team, but Jay Gray, the executive director of Pilot felt different.
After he reviewed the video which an obedience trainer from Petsmart helped me do outdoors, he felt it was best that freedom was immediately retired.
It was hard for me to overcome all of that and I felt as if I was a complete failure.
Jay helped me realize that I wasn't a failure and said he was proud that I wasn't willing to give up nor quit that fast with freedom.
They've had other people not try to problem solve or want to continue to make things work for handler and dog.
I did learn something good though from that experience and had a better understanding of the dog's feelings with perspective.
When it came to Odie's retirement however, it wasn't as emotional like it was with Freedom and Orleans.
The approach was more calmer and relaxed.
Still, I felt despaired that the partner who was willing to put his life on the line for me many times was no longer going to be a guide full time anymore.
Odie was taken back by it more as he started to feel depressed.
That's when Dale and I made the decision to put him back into service, but as a medical alert service dog.
I find that when comes to the emotional stage of retirement, many of us, including myself may not be sure of what or how we'd feel personally and if trying to talk to others, we may get a positive or negative outcome.
If TSE is willing to help train a dog for your specific needs, then it may be best to give them another shot and try.
Since you're already in their system, they may be able to accomodate you somewhat sooner than another school.
All the other schools are great, but depending on a person's needs and perspectives.
While one may be able to get a dog within an upcoming class date, another one may have to wait longer not just because of the careful matching: also seeing if dog and new partner will be able to work out for one another.
I want you to know that I'm here for you to lend a shoulder or a hand.
If you do need to talk, feel free to write me off list any time.
I figure if all take the time to listen to one another, we can get through a dificult time like this all together.
*Smiles*
As I'm typing this now, Odie is lying under the computer desk in between my feet, just relaxing and enjoying both of my feet on each side of him.
One foot is in between his front legs while the other one is lightly resting upon his shoulders.
Bibi