[nagdu] canes/guide dogs

marilyn t21114 at optonline.net
Mon Jul 9 12:08:43 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,
It saddens me to hear there is still a problem with cane users and dog users at conventions. I can remember when there were no canes when I was growing up and you felt your way around or held someone's hand. Ok I am old and proud I made it to this age. I joined NFB back in the 80's before I had a guide dog. the group out here in Suffolk County was terrible. When I made a decision to get a dog I was put down and told I was giving up my independence. One man had a guide dog in the group. I told them no I am enhancing my independence. After getting my first dog my husband and I decided to see what the NFB convention was like. Lots of information but fights between people using canes and dogs. After I think 2 days my husband and I both turned to each other and said were out of here. I have never been to a convention since. If we can't work together then we are divided and that is why ACB started. we can all have different views but the main thing is respect each other. We are more alike than we are different.
I am a good cane user but prefer a dog. That being said I have to get ready to leave for the blind group I go to every Monday morning. that is the only day I don't work.
marilyn and Anna