[nagdu] understanding vs. respect

Vanessa Lowery vlowery at dhr.state.md.us
Mon Jul 9 15:22:46 UTC 2012

Sometimes in order to bring about cultural competency, we msut educate others.  But it can get tiring, so I understand your frustration.

As for how the hotel reservation was made on your behalf, I would have been rather ticked off.  That was really insulting.  Your room was selected based on really inaccurate preconceived notions.

Vanessa Lowery, LGSW
Adult and Community Services Division
Adult Services Screening Unit
410-853-3550
VLowery at dhr.state.md.us

>>> "Julie J." <julielj at neb.rr.com> 7/7/2012 8:08 AM >>>
I wrote a bit about this a couple of weeks ago, but I've been thinking
more on the topic ...I know scary!  LOL  Anyway I attended this
diversity training seminar last spring.  It was a part of a larger
training event on drug/alcohol prevention and not something I would have
attended separately.  anyway the presenter talked about education and
understanding different cultures and whatnot.  There was a lot of
emphasis on what she called cultural competency, which I took to mean
being educated about various cultures.

the whole time I'm sitting there listening to this presentation I'm
thinking about the conversation we had about my hotel reservations.
This particular presenter was the coordinator for the conference.  She
made the hotel reservations for many of the attendees because the
sponsoring agency was covering the hotel.  It's much easier to do the
paperwork that way.  Anyway she knows I'm blind and that I have Monty.
she also knows I can walk up and down stairs and whatnot.  Still she
informed the hotel that I needed a first floor room and that I'd be
accompanied by a guide dog.  she also assured the hotel that I'd be no
problem that I was quite independent.  I have no words to express my
feelings about this statement.  Unimpressed is about the nicest thing I
can say.

So back to diversity training...she's talking about understanding and
education and how important it is to know all about other people of
various cultures, races, disabilities etc.  Immediately after this
lecture we have a break where no less than three people come up to me to
ask inappropriate questions or to pet Monty without asking.  Honestly
I'm not opposed to answering questions, but when I'm engaged in a
different conversation and you interrupt to ask how much I can see, well
it's just rude.  It was at that moment that I realized that I don't give
a crap about education or understanding or cultural competency or
whatever you want to call it.  Sure if people understood, I mean really
got it, about blindness that would be grand.  I don't need that though.
What I really, really want is respect.

What do you all think?
Julie

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/vlowery%40dhr.state.md.us

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged and/or confidential. This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an
intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.