[nagdu] Julie why a boxer? was re: Boxer guides from Pilot

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 11 05:06:45 UTC 2012

Hi, Julie,
Only time I'd see them taking a dog back is under a year period if dog and handler don't work out or if abuse is suspected.
They also will rematch dogs with another student during another training sesson, giving the dog another try to see how it will pan out.
As for the trafic checking despite that it's not included with training, I wasn't bothered by it.
Reason being was because I had already gone to a school that incorporated it in their training.
As for the hand signal thing, Mike Tessmer, the train who trained Odie does use hand signals with his string of dogs in training.
Am not sure about the other trainers training style, but he strongly recommended the hand signals.
If I had a choice, I'd gladly love to have him as a trainer again.
Despite disagreements between the two of us, he was very supportive during the time of Freedom David Berry being retired.
My biggest rule was to stick with my dog and follow him at all times.
Odie performed a variety of trafic checks for me, sometimes, back up along with pulling me back, turning sideways with side stepping to push me backwards quickly if it was warranted.
Yes, they do teach you how to pick up after your dog while on route.
I wound up going to Pilot as that was my last option for guide dog schools.
One rejected me because the field rep claimed I had too large of an arc with my cane and for other personal reasoning which I'd rather not mention on list.
The next school took me, but I wasn't pleased with their services, given they promised follow up and if I really needed help, they always just said get a mobility instructor.
Other schools turned me down, despite that I was honest and up front with my emotional stability because of being emotionally unstabled.
Recent school I tried to go through wouldn't take me because their claim was O&M that I needed more brush up.
pilot was willing to grant me a chance of working with another dog, regardless of me being emotionally unstabled.
It's not as bad anymore with the help of meds and professional counseling.
Sometimes, we just take what we like and leave the rest.
*Smiles*
Bibi