[nagdu] Julie why a boxer? was re: Boxer guides from Pilot

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Jul 11 01:26:21 UTC 2012

Okay, Monty is a Boxer and lab mix.  From everything I know and what
Boxer people tell me, Monty's personality is much more that of the
Boxer, except for his love of food.  I absolutely love the way Monty
works, his approach, his work ethic, his stubborness, his ability to
stick by his decisions no matter how dumb I am and his focus on one
person-me.

Maybe I'm trying to find his clone, but if these qualities are among all
Boxers, I want one. The sporting breeds are very sociable, happy to meet
people and make new friends.  I strongly prefer a more aloof dog.
Boxer's are in the working group and were bred to do work.  Their focus
is on the work.   I like that.  They also have a short coat that is
easier on my husband's allergies, especially when we have more than one
dog in the house.  Out of harness they are affectionate with the family,
playful and energetic.

My second choice for a guide dog would be a Doberman for many of these
same reasons.  Pilot is also the only place that currently has Dobermans.

I'll be honest and say that Pilot would not be my first choice except
for the fact that they have the two breeds I would consider.  I don't
like that they don't teach hand signals.  I think their way of having
students relieve their dogs is a bit odd.  They don't train traffic to
the same level as other schools.  They are not an accredited IGDF
program.   I'm unclear about their ownership policy.  The GDUI survey
states that they grant ownership, but it also says that they retain the
right to remove the dog for various reasons.

It's a lot to consider.

Julie