[nagdu] {nagdu} guide dog in high school

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 03:19:06 UTC 2012

Hi Danielle.

I received my current dog when I was 17 years old.  I had a great
experience, although I do have to tell you that having a dog in high
school is not easy.  High school is a very distracting place for a dog
because of all the food, people, and chaos that naturally exists
within a high school environment.  I went to a rather large high
school(5 buildings), so it made sense for me to have a dog on campus.
If your school is smaller, I would think seriously about the amount of
exercise this dog would receive while you are still in school.

I, like Meghan, wrote letters and discussed with my principal what it
would mean to have a dog in school and laid down guidelines to the
other students on the first day of school after receiving my dog.  I
don't know if I would advise not giving the dog's name out simply
because I use my dog's name so much, I don't see how it would be
possible to avoid it.  Meghan, if you don't mind explaining how you
were able to do this, that would be great.

Bottom line: You will need to be responsible with caring for your dog
despite your school schedule and amount of work.  This means parking
(relieving) it, feeding it, getting to know it, and making sure you do
obedience work on a regular basis.  I don't mean to sound harsh, but
it is difficult in a lot of ways.  I found it rewarding and am
thankful that I got my dog when I did, but it was a lot of work.  I'm
not going to lie.

Feel free to email me off list if you have any other questions or want
more info.  Good luck with everything...

--
Julie McG
 Lindbergh High School class of 2009, National Federation of the Blind

life."
John 3:16