[nagdu] mounting

Lyn Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Fri Jul 13 18:57:22 UTC 2012

Never allow a dog to mount humans!  It is a dominance thing and WE are the
dopminant ones, not the dog.  Landon used to do that to the male patients we
had and they were on the floor with him.  I corrected the HELL out of him
(verbally!) and encouraged the patients to be in chairs and not on the floor
unless Landon was lying down and getting a belly rub!  The patients were
young Marines who wrestled with him and then he'd hump them.  he has NEVER
tried this with our current people we do pet therapy with.  they aren't
allowed to wrestle with the dogs.

If he's playing with another dog, I don't care if he does it but I don't
allow it to go on long.  He does it to his friend when that dog has a bone
Landon wants.  He has NEVER tried to hump while in harness.

This can really be a problem if the dog starts to do this to any dog while
in harness.  A friend of mine had a dog that was allowed to hump as a puppy.
the dog got into the habit and then it coouldn't be broken - much like
allowing the dog to beg at a table of diners.  My friend was getting frail
as he aged and this really became a problem because the dog would pull him
over to another guide dog and hump. This caused alot of problems in almost
being pulled on his face but other guide dog users got really pissed at him
for it.  The dog has been retired and the owner can barely walk now and no
longer uses public transportation.

The man wasn't strong enough to correct the behavior so it wwent on until
retirement.  Puppy raisers on the list:  Just be real careful of this habit
as some dogs will take it too far and then the blind handler may not be able
to correct it out of the dog.

Lyn and Landon