[nagdu] mounting

Vanessa Lowery vlowery at dhr.state.md.us
Fri Jul 13 19:29:44 UTC 2012

Thank you for comfirming that this behavior is not acceptable,
especially when the dog tries to hump people.  I have also ahd a
situation in which another handler's dog humped my; dog, and as a
result, it nearly got me killed.  The handler was totally clueless, and
when she did not address the matter wiht her school, I called the school
up and basically told them that og that dominant never should have been
issued to her.  I was polite, but I let them know that I did not
appreciate coming deadly close to crashing face first into a concrete
wall.  What kept me from eating concrete was the fact that a person was
standing just in the right spot, and I plowed into her.  No disrespect
intended her, but I was never so happy to plow into a person who was,
shall we stay, well-stacked!!

There are jsut some behaviors that we cannot afford to let our dogs get
into because they can spill over into the dog's work.

Lynn, you made my day.

Vanessa Lowery, LGSW
Adult and Community Services Division
Adult Services Screening Unit
410-853-3550
VLowery at dhr.state.md.us

>>> "Lyn Gwizdak" <linda.gwizdak at cox.net> 7/13/2012 2:57 PM >>>
Never allow a dog to mount humans!  It is a dominance thing and WE are
the
dopminant ones, not the dog.  Landon used to do that to the male
patients we
had and they were on the floor with him.  I corrected the HELL out of
him
(verbally!) and encouraged the patients to be in chairs and not on the
floor
unless Landon was lying down and getting a belly rub!  The patients
were
young Marines who wrestled with him and then he'd hump them.  he has
NEVER
tried this with our current people we do pet therapy with.  they aren't

allowed to wrestle with the dogs.

If he's playing with another dog, I don't care if he does it but I
don't
allow it to go on long.  He does it to his friend when that dog has a
bone
Landon wants.  He has NEVER tried to hump while in harness.

This can really be a problem if the dog starts to do this to any dog
while
in harness.  A friend of mine had a dog that was allowed to hump as a
puppy.
the dog got into the habit and then it coouldn't be broken - much like

allowing the dog to beg at a table of diners.  My friend was getting
frail
as he aged and this really became a problem because the dog would pull
him
over to another guide dog and hump. This caused alot of problems in
almost
being pulled on his face but other guide dog users got really pissed at
him
for it.  The dog has been retired and the owner can barely walk now and
no
longer uses public transportation.

The man wasn't strong enough to correct the behavior so it wwent on
until
retirement.  Puppy raisers on the list:  Just be real careful of this
habit
as some dogs will take it too far and then the blind handler may not be
able
to correct it out of the dog.

Lyn and Landon