[nagdu] Re "Pets, Wills and Animal Trusts"

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 18 04:39:08 UTC 2012

Thank you, Judy, for posting a copy of the article I referenced yesterday
from the Seattle Times.  It was the right one.

Trusts aren't only for when we die.  The thing I liked especially about the
article is that it can give guidance as to how to provide for a retired
guide that has to be placed.  As I understand it, a living trust could be
created to ensure that a retired guide could go on living as it's used to
doing--sleeping in the house, getting groomed regularly, having its walking,
feeding and watering schedules honored, doing obedience if that's been part
of life, and all the special things that have been built into the dog's
life.  And to prevent thoughtless or intentional abuses, e.g. being left
alone for days when new owners travel; being left alone all day in a crate
when they work, to avoid the consequences of separation anxiety.

I've had to learn, when forced to place a retired guide, that my oversight
of the new relationship can be very delicate and must involve vigilant
diplomacy--if I'm allowed to intervene at all.  Clear, written guidance to
the most loving of new guardians, with the formality of a trust (these are
materially valuable animals, after all, and can reasonably be taken
seriously) could do a lot to preserve friendships, safeguard the dog, and
protect funds needed for her care and support.

I like the idea too, of having to put aside money for a retired dog's
future--he's earned it.And it keeps us mindful of the need to plan for a
life entrusted to our care.

This article addressed a general audience and concerned all pets.  So it
would be good to ask one's own lawyer to help draft a will or trust for the
benefit of one's own guide dog--and work out the rest of an inheritance
plan.

Thanks again, Judy, for posting the article.

Elizabeth