[nagdu] Goodwill Changes Policy On Service Dogs

Ginger Kutsch GingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 11:11:46 UTC 2012

Goodwill Changes Policy On Service Dogs

By Megan Brantley

Jun 15 2012

http://www.wcyb.com/Goodwill-Changes-Policy-On-Service-Dogs/-/14590664/15240
106/-/9ycsahz/-/index.html

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. -

She claimed to be a victim of discrimination because Goodwill turned her
away and wouldn't let her service dog in the store. Earlier this week we
told you about a local woman and a controversy over her service dog.

Original story: Service Dog Owner Claims Discrimination

Rose Hollowka suffers from epilepsy and said her dog, which warns her
beforehand that she is about to have a seizure, was not allowed in a Johnson
City Goodwill store. The story said that was because she didn't have
documentation to prove Honey was a service dog.

That story touched a nerve for many folks; it has been viewed over 15,000
times here on WCYB.com. It also brought a flood of calls and emails to
Goodwill about disability discrimination.

"Nationally we heard a lot. A lot of Goodwill [stores] across the country do
hear a lot. They want to comment on it. They want to know. They really don't
know how the Goodwill organization is set up," said Bob Miller, CEO and
President of Goodwill of Tenn/Va.

We searched the law and found Tennessee does in fact allow businesses to
choose whether or not to ask for documentation when someone has a service
animal, but the organization is now making some changes. Miller explained
why: ?Even though we were already operating under the Tennessee law, we
decided that it would be best for us to go ahead and comply with the ADA
law."

Miller told us that Goodwill will announce on its website the new policy
with service animals. Now it will only ask what service an animal provides,
but not ask for documentation. "I am glad that they changed the policy, said
Rose Hollowka. ?I am disappointed that it takes someone going to the media
to get this changed and taken care of."

That's a change that backs up Goodwill?s mission to serve those with
disabilities.

Original story: Service Dog Owner Claims Discrimination

By Megan Brantley

POSTED: Jun 12 2012 05:48:52 AM EDT UPDATED: 5:43 AM Jun 12 2012

http://www.wcyb.com/Service-Dog-Owner-Claims-Discrimination/-/14590664/15240
206/-/h8wnql/-/index.html

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. -

A Johnson City woman claims that she was discriminated against for bringing
her service dog inside a store.

According to the Americans with Disability Act, state and local governments,
businesses, and non-profit organizations that serve the public must allow
service animals to accompany people with disabilities in all areas of the
facility where the public is normally allowed to go.

One woman she was not allowed to do so when she was shopping at the
Goodwill. Rose Holowka is dealing with a disability. "I was in a car wreck
back in 1992 which caused seizures that developed into epilepsy and have
partial complex seizures," she explained.

Her service dog Honey makes things a little easier, but we learned that the
law makes it a little harder. ?About a month ago my husband and I went to
the Goodwill, and we were approached by their supervisor. We were told that
we had to leave or show certification or documentation for the dog," said
Holowka.

Unlike being blind, Holowka doesn't have a visible disability and she says
that makes it harder to convince people.

Federal law does not require folks to show proof an animal is a service dog.
State representative Jon Lundberg says places are not allowed to ask. ?You
can't ask to see that,? says Lundberg, ?This is not like 'let's see you
driver's license, let's see your dog credentials.' It doesn't work that way,
it wasn't designed to work that way."

Although it wasn't designed that way, it's put places like Goodwill in a
very tough position. With the animals not being required by law to wear a
vest or dog tag, it makes it hard to tell which dog is a service dog and
which isn't.

We spoke with a representative from Goodwill who said that with the right
paperwork they'd be happy to allow them in, but until then, their policy
says no pets allowed.