[nagdu] Shaman's attack

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 21 03:26:11 UTC 2012

Another good idea would be is if Mardi would be able to connect with other guide dog users in the hopes they would be able to offer help and support.
Sadly, some cities, towns or people in general just don't take matters like this seriously because once a domesticated dog or more attack and have tasted blood, there's that high probability of them doing it again.
Am happy that I've stuck with my guns to make sure Odie is behaving and if not, then I get on him quickly.
Speaking of dogs and attacks, I did hear three stories from several Pilot grads who experienced being attacked by the dog they were matched with.
One from Canada told me a black lab big her on the chin.
After that, she didn't feel comfortable with that dog, knowing he would do it again.
It took her mother to get involved and really express the safety and concerns for the well-being.
Handler was issued with another dog.
The same dog that bit her was reissued with another handler and again, the dog attacked.
He went for the person's throat and by then, it was best that the lab be euthanized right on the spot.
A trainer had to go to the individual's home and take the dog directly to be put down.
Another friend of mine from California related how a guide dog named Winter also bit her and he was immediately pulled upon being destroyed.
For the third graduate and this happened after two weeks of home training, her male black lab suddenly attacked her out of the blue.
She was forced to immediately call 9 1 1 to get help.
She did go back to the school a month or two later where she ended up with a female yellow lab.
As I've learned from dog behavioralists and trainers, always keep on guard and don't drop it either as the unpredictable may happen.
I learned the hard way, especially when  Freedom David Berry came close to attacking someone on the Westwood College north campus.
Was glad the student wasn't hurt though and he wasonly trying to help me with the door as my hands were full.
I can admit I was very hesitant when it came having to report the incident to Pilot Dogs as I knew what was going to happen.
First things I eid was talk to the president of the school and informed him of what happened that I wouldn't be able to bring Freedom on to campus unless he was muzzled.
The president was really understanding and said that freedom was still welcomed on campus.
I explained too that Freedom and I had been messed with and harassed by several other men.
The president, Tony admitted he didn't blame Freedom one bit and asked him if his buttons were pushed far enough.
I also reported it to Denver County Animal Control and like the obedience trainer at Petsmart, they recommended I notify my guide dog school immediately.
Although it emotionally hurt me that Freedom David Berry was having to be retired, the executive director of Pilot told me he was proud that I didn't just suddenly give up or quit and I tried everything to make it work.
Although Odie gave me a run for my money and he was a brat, am happy I didn't give up on him either, thanks to the support from pilot and friends.
Mardi, do keep us posted on what happens and I wish for the best.
Bibi