[nagdu] Embarrassing Guide Dog Handlers

Doug Parisian eggmann at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 8 16:15:23 UTC 2012

Indeed, I thought that comment was a bit out of line.  If I do, as a very
seasoned dog handler, offer to help a new person, that doesn't include a
whole course in blindness management, let alone dog handling.  Fact is, some
folks should never be allowed near any animal, for any reason and blindness
in itself does not crown one with innate compassion and understanding, or
for that matter, appropriate intelligence to be managing a dog.

Many of us have been directly responsible for others pairing up with a dog
guide; I can think of six folks directly who I've supported and encouraged.
I can also think of one individual who, before he got a dog, had partial
vision and was the self-assumed authority on everything, including how I
should handle my dog and had to be forcibly moved away from interfering.  My
full and deepest sympathies to his unfortunate animal.

Doug: My dog can lick your dog--and you too!